Dig out enough room to place down the excavator and power it. After place it, supply power, preferably via Laser Power Transmitter.
The excavator will then rotate and break any non-ore or non-machine blocks. Note that ores and machinery will block it's lasers, causing anything behind them to not be removed.
- The auto-excavator automates digging areas to work in. Place it and walk away. Even a basic LET can power this item; it just requires more time than giving it sufficient power.
- It doesn't remove ores in it's path. Use the Workfloor Excavator MK2, NanoDisintegrator or Superdig to do that.
- You can block it by placing machines in its path, allowing for other extraction patterns.
- If built by placing the excavator on the side of a block, the excavator will appear to have a strange horizontal orientation. However, it will dig out three vertical blocks as normal.
- If low on power, the excavator will sometimes still have bright beams emitting from it but will not dig nor rotate.